Saturday, September 19, 2009

Thoughts on the car and the European Delivery experience

The car drives very well. It has all the quirks that people have mentioned in the forums. Jerky shifts in low gear at very low speeds. Groans when starting out at low speeds. Water inside the fuel fill area. Water dripping from a channel in the hatch to another channel in the main body when the hatch is opened. The Jukebox did not import from the iPod. The Jukebox does not rip CDs by design unless they are in MP3 or WMA format. That hot oil smell still bugs me. The B&O sound is good. The navigation and Sirius do not work in Europe as they are USA spec. We got about 22 mpg overall for our trip per the trip computer.

Would we do it again? In a heartbeat. It is just so much more exciting to be able to pick up the car at the factory and to be able to drive it in Europe. It also allows you go off the beaten track and see Europe in a very different way. BMW has a far more mature European Delivery program, but, as I mentioned before, Audi did what it promised and did it well. The factory tour is great, as is the forum itself. In my mind, the three days we spent with the car was just right for us. If we had to do it again, we’d do three days in another area. There are so many places that are accessible from here within that time frame. The only drag is that you have to be careful as you break in the car as the desire to punch it is just so great.

7 comments:

  1. This is just exhilarating! What a trip! Thank you for sharing. Very sharp vehicle. I cannot wait to see it in person. I will also ensure I have enough bug remover when that thing arrives, just in case some of those insects you picked up are still stuck to the paint.

    I am not sure how I would handle a bunch of cows heading toward my brand new vehicle, but it is hands-down hilarious anyway.

    Last, but not least, I am glad you got your cable. After seeing the playlist on the nav screen, it became evident that the experience would have been severely lacking without the iPod.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing that experience. I am planning on doing the same thing this summer; a 2 month trip through Europe in a brand new Q5.

    I did have 1 question for you though:

    1. How is the interior of the car with rattles. Did you experience any rattles or squeeks going over bumpy road?

    I currently own an 07 Acura TL, and everything's bouncing around inside.

    Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris, ironically we switched to this from an 06 TL. Only 30000 miles on it, but no squeaks or rattles. In regards to the Q5, only 1000 miles so far, and nothing is shaking inside (yet). Thanks for your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great blog! Interesting info on the Audi plant and experience, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it. I'm really excited about the Q5. I've been at an audi dealer this weekend and compared the new Q5 with the Q7. The Q7 is a bit larger, but not by much. I think I'll stick to the Q5, cheaper, and could use the extra money while traveling :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chris, I took a look at your photos - you know how to travel! We tend to do short trips and did Dubrovnik in 06 - want to go back there again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thesis nathan k5la train horn are unique Extremely year upgrade and very FEW cars or trucks Have Them. Really, it's a great upgrade. When you purchase a train horn Carefully choose and use it Responsibly. When Used appropriately thesis horns Can Be a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete